Phuti RagophalaAward Winning Educationist, South Africa
Phuti Ragophala is a multi-award winner, former principal of Pula Madibogo Primary School in Mankweng Circuit, Limpopo Province, Polokwane. Recently she was nominated by an international foundation, the Varkey Foundation in United Kingdom, as one of the Top 50 finalists for the Global Teacher Prize 2017. She received the honour in March 2017 in Dubai during the Global Education and Skills Forum. She was among the 50 finalists because of the enormous and monumental work she has done in teaching in South Africa and in Africa as a whole.
Currently, Phuti is a (VTA) Varkey Teacher Ambassador where she’s at the fore front of advocating and encouraging young, upcoming educators about teaching as a career to tackle the problem of shortage of educators, and the high rate of educator retirement both nationally and internationally.
Besides that, Phuti is also a Microsoft Innovative Educator Trainer through Microsoft in Education where she trains and workshops educators on (CPTD) Continuous Professional Teacher Development based on digital teaching and learning through Webinars and Skype teaching. She also conducts reading projects online with community learners and engage them on Skype to do reading with international schools and educators as part of a global collaborative project. She is working to make young people across Africa Global citizens who are not limited by the walls of the classroom.
Phuti does free community work by conducting reading clubs and offering ICT skills to community learners on Saturdays from her home in South Africa. To the community women and pensioners, she offers free skills training on how to produce green vegetables using old car tyres and use green herbs to make their own indigenous medicines for their chronic ailments.
Here are a list of teaching organizations she works for as an ambassador:
- Centre for Public Service Innovation, nationally
- SACE, nationally
- Microsoft in Education, internationally
- Varkey Teacher Ambassador, internationally
- Kakuma Refugee Camp in Kenya ambassador
- Africa Federation of Teaching Regulatory Authorities(AFTRA) ambassador in Africa
Some of the awards bestowed on her during her teaching and leadership career are:
- In 2006 she got Tracy Malatji award in woman of excellence by the Office of Premier
- In 2007 she got a provincial award in primary school leadership and a finalist for national primary school leadership by department of education
- In 2008 she got Premiers award for Best practice in education by premiers office
- In 2008 was awarded SABC2 Shoprite Checkers woman of the year finalist in Education category
- In 2009 she got Woman in Science award in Indigenous knowledge System nationally by department of Science and technology
- Again in 2009 she got Early Child development Award nationally by department of social department and ABSA
- In 2010 she got an award from CPSI(Centre for Public Service Innovation) for sustaining the school projects that benefit the school
- In 2011 she got another award from the Office of Premier for sustaining the school projects that benefits the community
- In 2011 ISPA super teacher of the year by COZA CARES
- In 2011 Star in Education by ARGO
- In 2012 South African Hero by E-TV(Documentary shown)
- In 2014 she was selected by Microsoft internationally as Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert (MIEE)to attend and present learning activities on global stage in Barcelona during the global conference
- In 2015 she was awarded Most Influential women in Africa award
- In 2015 she was again selected by Microsoft internationally as Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert(MIEE)to attend and present my learning activities on global stage in Dubai during global conference
- In 2016 she was again selected for the third time as Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert(MIEE)
- 2016 June 27th awarded Life Time achievement by EduWeek SABC Education at Gallagher estate Midrand
- 2016 Woman in Government award winner
- In 2016 I was awarded FELLOW status by Microsoft In Education internationally during Microsoft Financial year(MFY) conference
- In 2017 Nominated by Varkey foundation to be amongst the TOP 50 Global Teacher Prizes ( I was the Only one from South Africa)
- 2017 given FELLOW status by AFTRA( AFRICA FEDERATION OF TEACHING REGULATORY AUTHOROTIES) at University of South Africa during AFTRA international conference.
- 2017 honoured by South African Democratic Teachers Union (SADTU) provincially for being selected in TOP 50 Global Teacher Prize Finalist
- 2017 nominated by World Education Congress Jury and Council Members to attend the 6th World education Congress in Taj Lands End Mumbai India on the 23rd and 24th November to receive Education Leadership Award for benchmarking Educational Practices